Taking the time to examine the way you exercise can offer various differences in being safe and keeping the body well balanced along with the better results. Here are five of the worst fitness habits you need to know about in order to make sure that you are maximizing your workout and preventing injury.
1. Holding Your Breath During an Exercise – Breathing steadily in a regular manner has a lot of advantages. For example, inhaling and exhaling properly can help you exert more energy while doing some moves. It can also aid in the balanced production of lactic acid which is necessary for muscle build-up. With proper breathing, you can have a stable heart rate. The maximum oxygen level to the blood can be well-delivered with a full breath. This in turn will bring enough energy to muscles on the move.
2. Sticking With the Same Exercises – Challenge is something that your muscles need to produce better results. Your muscles will simply adjust when sticking to the same workout routine and progression will be difficult to achieve. Simply change up your exercises every week or two by increasing weight, adding sets and repetitions, as well as adding new exercises like Zumba, yoga, etc. This will not only prevent injury and produce better results, but will prevent boredom as well.
3. Fueling the Body – Properly fueling the body before and after you workout is essential for maximum results and recovery. The body needs glucose for fuel so if you are a morning exerciser, make sure you eat one hour before you exercise to give your body the energy it
requires. If your blood sugar is low, your body ends up stealing it from your muscles. Consuming a mixture of protein and carbohydrates will be optimal for exercise performance.
Drinking a protein shake with fruit is ideal.
A post workout meal is important for re-fueling the muscles. Your muscles breakdown during exercise and giving your body proper nutrition after your workout is highly beneficial for muscle recovery and growth. Try drinking a protein shake with fruit or making sure you consume both protein and carbohydrates within an hour after exercising.
4. Bad Form – Safety is essential during your workout and the best way for you to be safe is to maintain the correct form. If you do not put serious consideration on proper movement and form then you are no longer attaining the best benefits that exercise can offer. Plus, with bad form you are adding much risk of injury. Remember, slow and controlled is best when using weights.
5. Slacking off on Stretching - After a hard workout, the last thing most people want to do is stay and stretch. However, flexibility is very important as we age in preventing injury and maintaining health for your body. The next time you work out simply plan ahead and allot time for stretching all major muscles including hamstrings and lower back.
So how are YOU Doing?
Do not despair if you found that you were guilty of one (or maybe even more than one) of these bad fitness habits. The key here is to make change so that you CAN get the results that you want. Instituting the help of a personal trainer and/or a nutritionist can be a tremendous help answering the "what am I doing wrong" question many of us have when if comes down to our exercise program. So dont' be afraid...go ahead and ask for help. we would love to hear the questions that you have! Drop us a note in the comment section or just click the button below and we will get to as many questions as we can.